Congratulations to the Parkinson’s Association of SW Florida for their successful Walk on February 25, 2017. With over 200 people registered the crowd surged to closer to 300 with all participants running a 5k or walking the 1 Mile. Wave Radio was present along with a host of sponsors and vendors. McKenney Home Care was proud to be part of this event.
The Parkinson’s Association hosts exercise classes and support group meetings around Collier County for those suffering from Parkinson’s Disease.
Who has Parkinson’s Disease:
- As many as one million Americans live with Parkinson’s disease, which is more than the combined number of people diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy and Lou Gehrig’s disease.
- Approximately 60,000 Americans are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease each year, and this number does not reflect the thousands of cases that go undetected.
- More than 10 million people worldwide are living with Parkinson’s disease.
- Incidence of Parkinson’s increases with age, but an estimated four percent of people with PD are diagnosed before the age of 50.
- Men are one and a half times more likely to have Parkinson’s than women.
What does Parkinson’s Disease Cost:
- The combined direct and indirect cost of Parkinson’s, including treatment, social security payments and lost income from inability to work, is estimated to be nearly $25 billion per year in the United States alone.
- Medication costs for an individual person with PD average $2,500 a year, and therapeutic surgery can cost up to $100,000 dollars per patient.