Watermelon is a favorite summertime treat. It’s a crisp, cool way to get some refreshment against the sizzling heat. Just how good for you is it, though? Below we’ll outline some health benefits of watermelon.
• Hydration: Given the name, it’s not surprising watermelon is a good source of water. In fact, it’s over 90% water.
• Heart Health: Watermelon contains lycopene, which has been proven to help lower cholesterol.
• Inflammation: Watermelon is loaded with L-arginine and L-citrulline, which are known anti-inflammatory agents.
• Blood Sugar: The same L-arginine from above can also help with glucose metabolization and insulin sensitivity.
• Nerve Function: Watermelon is rich in potassium. Potassium helps the nervous system function better.
Watermelon is a nutrient powerhouse. When combined with other fruits and vegetables in a balanced diet, the health effects can be plentiful.