When it comes time to make a home more senior-friendly, there are many areas to consider and Entryways into the home need attention. These are prime places for accidental falls. Here are some things that can make these areas safer.
- Add non-slip flooring at the entryway inside the home: This makes coming inside from wet weather less treacherous.
- Add non-slip strips to surfaces outside the entryway: This can help improve footing.
- Add non-slip rugs in the entryway.
- Repair uneven or cracked areas of walkways leading to the house: Cracks and uneven surfaces increase the risk of falling.
- Make entryways well lit.
- Make entryways as open and unobstructed as possible.
- Increase stair visibility by using contrast strips on the top and bottom stairs.
- Install rails on both sides of stairways leading into the house: This helps provide more support for people getting in and out of the house.
- If possible, replace stairs with entry ramps.
Entryways are important! Don’t ignore these areas when renovating a house to make it more accessible to older adults.